Memories of the 1090


 I worked in the Radio gang and I basically only recall three or four of them. RMSN Nickerson(sic), RM3 Pete Lear(sic), RM3 C. Fetcher(sic) and RM1 Stewart RM1 Red....(COMLSTDIV 32 RM). Another of the crew I remember is SM3 Hutchinson (as I remember he transferred off in WestPac to sub school). Our Captain when I reported was LCDR Whitmore(sic) and of course LTJG Segal was the XO


The ship deployed to WestPac in September or October 1959 with stops in Kanohe Bay, then to Naha Okinawa and Buckner Bay then to Sasebo Japan. We also had stops in Hong Kong, Korea 38th parallel and Inchon, Yokosuka and Namazu to offload Marines. The last was in Subic Bay before getting to proceed to San Diego to prepare for decommissioning. We were towed from NAHA port to SASEBO and into drydock. The primary reason if I remember correctly a reduction gear problem. We proceeded to San Diego via Pearl Harbor in the company of the USS Carronade IFS-1. As I remember the ship had little of fresh food or other consumables. So when we arrived at Pearl just about the whole crew went to the gedunk and pigged out on chocolate fudge sundaes. Sick yes. The Carronade  was constantly complaining about the slow speed. With only one screw (rough ride).


Some personal rememories: I reported aboard in San Diego with the 1090 in dry-dock at the Chicken of the Sea docks. The airlines had misplaced my seabag so the crew helped me with uniforms until the seabag came aboard. I know I was scared when I saw the 1090 in dry-dock as I didn't know about bow doors at the time, I just thought we had lost the bow. During the 4th weekend I also learned how to ice beer in the Capt sea cabin using a fire extinguisher. I didn't' t desire to be a RM because of the Morse code, but the XO Segal taught me how wrong I was as I worked on the deck and stood watches in radio. I also found out the BMs liked this idea as one of the joy boys of radio came under there control and this when I decided being a RM was good. The first Sunday I stood watch I found out the RM on duty had to hold colors. I raised the ensign upside down I then lowered it and promptly droped it San Diego harbor. I also got in some trouble when asked to send a message out containing the text the 1090 would marry to the causeway at 10:00. I didn't believe this term (thought it like get the keys to the bow doors) so the message got a little late. While underway the RD left for a head call and asked that standby for him. This turned out the wrong way also as I was asked to plot a contact. I plotted the contact passing 3 miles to port and the bridge promptly questioned this it was actually 5 miles on a collision course. Most of the cruise pretty tame

Carr Lee Durden 1959 - 1960